Thursday, February 14, 2008

Constructing San Diego ...

I live in San Diego. Downtown San Diego. I spend a lot of time wandering about and I am noticing something very strange here ...

New Construction. It's everywhere.

But the news headlines read (and I paraphrase):

"Housing market declines"

"Mortgages are impossible to qualify for ... "

"Residential vacancy 20 billion per cent. "

We don't even have enough water for everyone we have, especially when you consider the love San Diegans have for growing lawns in an arid climate.


Yet they keep building ... and building ... and building ...

And the funny thing? This is SoCal. No one walks. Everyone loves the suburbs. Nothing says success like climbing into your SUV and driving through an hour or two of traffic each day. So who's going to live here? Where will they work? There aren't any office buildings going up and this is the land of the Strip Mall.

Even better: while the sophisticated writers of this town bemoan the "lack of infrastructure" I happen to notice that even when you live downtown, you still have to get in your car to get to/ do/ see almost anything other than other condos, a few restaurants, and our two very far-off grocery stores.

So what do I do when I get in my car? That's where I hope the story gets interesting ...



No comments:

Post a Comment